Postmodernism

~ Thursday, September 22, 2005
Why does the term postmodernism scare most Christians to death? I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I also don't think that we should run from it. I'm not sure I agree with everything the "Emergant Church" has to offer, but at least they're trying to do something about it. I had a proffesor tell me that he's glad that he's older and is done leading a church, because he's not sure how to handle the question of postmodernism in the church.

The church should not and cannot become postmodern. If we conform to postmodernism we will crumble soon after. But in the same way we can't avoid the situation all together or else the church will die out. We have to somehow change in a way that we can reach those who have a postmodern worldview. We cn't sit inside the church and do nothing and say that God will do all of the work to bring people into the church, and open they're minds to think the way that we do while their in the pews so that we can reach them. No! Jesus told us to go out and reach the world. We must face it. For the present time our culture, at least here in America, is shifting. What are we as the body of Christ going to do about it? What can we do about it? I have some thoughts to answer these questions, but for now, I'm just posting the main thought and point. I'll come to some more concrete solutions later. I really just need to experience more of this and think more of it out.

No comments: